Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Jam Slow

So I've been noticing a trend that I would hope that others would re- or co-articulate. I didn't quite figure it out until I started realized that I like Skrillex and I got over my mountainous hump of being interested dubstep (trust me, those Whitehorn Mountains of actually liking dubstep are ever-present). First, a bit of inspiration to those who maybe still be on the same page as a the 3-week-ago me:

 
Ok, that song is the super jam. BUT WHY. My theory, it's got all the distortion, dissonance, and discontinuities that dubstep has (and bangers had) but you can dance to it unlike dubstep. But why can you dance to 'Bangarang'? Because there's no anti-gyrating half-tempoing twice in the middle of the damn track where the only thing you can do is head bang / slam / ram to your bro friends. Enough unhappiness... the point is coming up.

More after jumping...

Dubstep prides itself on having those slow bits, or rather, a distinct slow down relative to the rest. When I realized that I liked 'Bangarang' and that it was perpetually slower (110bpm) I likened it to Moombahton which came out this track (if you didn't know), that originally was at 128bpm.
   
Another genre that came out of slowing down tracks was Belgian New Beat where it was common to take existing acid house or darkwave and slowing it down to... well ~110bpm. The groove is more relaxed and the voices are haunting and slightly distorted. According to the internet, it germinated from the slowing down of this song to this version:

  


This brings me to my realization of a new genre based on the jams that I would listen to in 2005 - 2010 (which is basically what this blog is based on). Take the hardest tracks you can find and slow them down to the magic 110bpm. This goes for: Mr. Oizo, Yuksek, Tiga, Vitalic, Justice, Soulwax, etc. I slowed down my copy of Ross Ross Ross by SebastiAn to -8 on an SL1200 and it sounds pretty epic. Here it is done shittily with garageband just to give you an example. Here you go, internet. Enjoy.

No comments: