Friday, October 16, 2009

New News about Old Folks

I recently received an email from mog about how they are going to offer their own version of a music subscription service (see Napster / Rhapsody) but for $5/mo. I don't know how they're going to do it, but maybe they figure not to make as much money on selling music, but rather attract people and suck them into the mog life and continue to rely on ads.

It worked for me.

I haven't really looked at mog in a while other than the weekly digest emails that they send out which are nothing compared to actually browsing the site and doing discovery by myself. Enter the current update on old friends:

New LCD Soundsystem
Jimmy is working on the next album as announced last week and the sneak peek is already here. You can stream it but not download it? We'll just see about that..

LCD Soundsystem - Bye Bye Bayou

Bloc Party to break up
Maybe I'm just perpetuating rumors here, but it makes sense to me. Considering that while on tour Matt Tong had to go to the emergency room due to a collapsed lung makes me think that he can't keep up doing the riffs that they want to do. Notice the intensity of the drumline in Silent Alarm vs. A Weekend in the City and Initimacy which started to use drum machines. I'm just happy I went to a bunch of their shows during the course of their lifetime. Matt was is fantastic.

Flaming Lips to cover Dark Side of the Moon
You know what I'd love more than this is if they were to do their entire show doing this version that I haven't even heard yet. I understand that 'Do You Realize?' is a religious experience, but conceptualize a Coyne version of 'On The Run'. Wow.

1 comment:

Larry said...

The Bloc Party News is kind of sad, I still have the blue shirt I bought from their opening show in Denver