Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Old Cut Copy



So I ordered Cut Copy's 1st album from Insound a while back (last year) and it finally came this past weekend. It definitely falls under the electroclash category that I discovered in 2004 (I say discovered because I know it was around in the late 90's at least). It has the electronic sound, it is easy going, the vocal effects are typical of the genre, and the repetitious octave arpeggiation is there too. The style though has many mirrors to In Ghost Colours both vocally and melodically. On this one the production is a little rougher, the vocals do not stand out as much, but wouldn't you know it they have the mini ~30sec track as an intro to 'That Was a Dream' like they do to every other song on IGC.

Cut Copy - Autobahn Music Box

Cut Copy - Bright Neon Payphone

Listening to this right now, I can't help but mention other electroclash stuff that I got via Larry Tee. He had a compilation come out that to me was less about getting all wrapped up into it and more just being knowledgeable about one aspect about the history of my kind of dance music. Just listen:

Fischerspooner - The 15th (it's a cover, but I forget of whom)

Memory Boy - (There is no) Electricity

Soviet - Candy Girl

No comments: